Wednesday 2 December 2009

Kitsch Religious Iconography



Yesterday as I wandered around the house deciding which items from my small collection of kitsch religious iconography I was going to photograph for this entry, I noticed one thing in particular. The images I am most attracted to are of mother and child or various incarnations of Devi, the mother goddess.

I am particularly fond of Laksmi who is the Hindu goddess of wealth, prosperity, light, wisdom, fortune, fertility, generosity and courage; and the embodiment of beauty, grace and charm. She is believed to protect her devotees from all kinds of misery and money-related sorrows.

I think I’m also attracted to these images because they portray the essence of female energy and life force (shakti). Every now and then their colours capture my attention and they make me smile…..thank goddess or should I say goodness?

1 comment:

Trish Gavegan said...

My darling daughter,

You do make me smile with all your little quirks - I bet you also love these images because you love bright colour so much.

So it seems to me that you haven’t lost sight of your own inner child…….. mmmmm, so nice to see when I have the opportunity to peer into your world through your blog.

I also love the fact that you relate to the mother aspect of these images and what they represent – especially now that you have your own two very special little cherubs.

It doesn’t seem so long ago that you were one of my own very special little cherubs – in fact, you still are :-)

lol

Mum